Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Foot of Cement Away

Last night I walked with Martin around the compound, 10ftt high walls surrounded us with barbed wire layered on top. As Martin and I were wandering, we were able to find a ledge that  we could walk on along the wall. As we walked along the edge, we saw Cite Soleil, one of the most dangerous places in the world, and the beautiful mountains of Haiti. Then we looked directly down, not less then 5 feet directly below us were the tops of a tent city. The tents were all right against the wall, the same wall we sleep so close to. We were so close that we could hear the people sleeping and see people walking around. That night when I went to bed, I thought about the wall closest to my head. And I thought about how a person living in such desperation and poverty was sleeping so close to me, the only thing separating a world of no water, air conditioning, and food was 12 inches of cement. To see the desperation they live in and see what these people live with every day changes how you see the little things. Now when I go to bed, I make sure to give a prayer for the person sleeping on the opposite side of that wall, only a foot of cement away.
-Zack

1 comment:

  1. Zack, you really nailed it. It's amazing how close we really are to how the 'other half' lives. It's really cool that you are remembering and praying for those precious people only a foot away... keep praying, even when you're home. And thank you for going to Haiti to do something about it. My challenge to you, as to myself when I'm not in Haiti, is to do something about it when you're back home. God bless you and the whole team!

    ReplyDelete