Monday, September 12, 2011

Jesus with skin on...

I'm Tom Solberg, one of the leaders of our Crosswalk Sunday School at St Michael's. I also have a day job as well at a concrete production company in Minneapolis and plenty of extra volunteer activities that keep me running. So why on earth would I suddenly get the urge to be a short term mission team member to of all places - Haiti?

There are plenty of other service projects I could have chosen to be involved in. I'm even missing one while we're on our trip to Haiti. Plus, doesn't charity begin at home?

The reality is that I was intrigued by this organization when our Sunday School began supporting them several years ago. Never before had a mission group actually talked back to me! It was plain to me that this group was "Jesus with skin on" to the people in this destitute country. They powerfully serve these folks, even going to areas where very few outsiders will go. That gives them "street cred" and allows them to also share the Gospel as they build relationships with the people they serve.

Even then, it was one thing to be supportive of a charity group's efforts financially; it was quite another to take the plunge and actively join a mission trip to another country. It's not exactly on the list of destinations our government considers safe. It means getting shots and taking meds before, during and after to ward off disease. It means fundraising - not because I couldn't work it out within our family budget - but so that I could give several dozen more people a chance to participate in the trip in a very tangible way. And in writing to these people, I asked for their prayers of support as well - the most important element of our preparation as we will face many very emotionally draining activities and will need the Spirit's wind under our wings!

And now we are 2 weeks from that 6am flight to Haiti via Miami. We've had a chance to bond some as a team. We've done some study on what it's like to do service oriented mission work in another country. We're busy collecting supplies to take with us on the trip and use at the orphanages and clinics we'll be working at. I need to also work on studying some of the language so I can at least say a few words to people I meet.

In the end, we can say yes or no to the direction the Holy Spirit gives us. I'm sure I'm far from always doing what God would have me do - but as for serving on this mission trip - I have a sure peace from God knowing if I will trust Him, He will meet all my needs at just the right time!

1 comment:

  1. Dad,

    I'm very proud of you -seeing you take this large step of faith. I hope you made it safely to Haiti, and I hope this trip has a lasting impact on both the people you serve and your team. We're praying for you all back home.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete