Sunday, February 9, 2014

Day 7

Have you ever started the day being told you were literally the answer to someone's prayers? I don't know that I had before. Today we brought ten boxes of Feed My Starving Children supplies to an orphanage. There's nothing magical about that. However, the feeling of divine intervention comes in to play when you factor in that the food had been loaded into our truck by mistake, our stop at the orphanage was unplanned and the orphanage was having a church service praying for food when we arrived. The head of the orphanage and his wife were so grateful. I have heard Matthew 25:40 (The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’) lots of times; it's rally cry for outreach. Today was the first time I have ever had the recipient of a deed quote that passage and tell me (and the team) that that is exactly what we had done.  If that happened more often, I think getting out of bed in the morning would be a lot easier.
We took a break this afternoon to visit a scenic overlook in the hills. Up in the hills is where many of the nicer homes in the Port-au-Prince area are. It really is a great view and you can see much of the surrounding area. Next to me at the overlook was an American man with a home in the hills and a couple who was visiting him. I overheard the couple tell the man how awesome Haiti is and he responded that it rocks and they should go grab a beer at the bar. Before walking away the visiting man asked if that was Cite Soleil in the distance. The man responded, "yes, see how crowded the houses are? Poor people always live close together." From where I was standing it was very easy to see and hear the distance between Haiti's have's and have not's.


No comments:

Post a Comment