Monday, February 3, 2014

Travel Day

What a difference a day can make. I woke up at 2:30 this morning to a zero degree Minnesota and will be going to bed in ninety degree Haiti. It didn't take long to melt the winter out of my bones and just start sweating. The sweating is not going to stop until I leave next week so hopefully I'll shed some of my winter weight. (There has got to be an easier way to lose weight than going to Haiti.)
I arrived here this afternoon on an earlier flight than most of my team so I got a little quality time at the Healing Haiti guest house compound before most other arrived. What I found most interesting is the feeling of coming home. I am staying in the same guest house and will be in the same bed I was at in September 2012 and there is an uncanny feeling of familiarity and belonging here.
Tomorrow will be the water stop day. That is traditionally the most physically demanding day of the trip compounded by the emotions of seeing the crowds of people lining up for clean water. I anticipate being wiped out by this time tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment