Sunday, July 13, 2014

Feeding our Children



 Saturday July 12, 2014

Our time spent in Haiti has consisted of visiting orphanages. One orphanage in particular touched all of us tremendously, called 'La Phare', While there, we played with the children, putting on a puppet show and jump-roping. This orphanage had very little space to play and one small room for gathering. La Phare is run by a Haitian couple along with the grandmother. During our visit the man took our leader to a closet to show her that they only had one small box of food left which would only feed the children for one day. This broke our hearts and set us into action. We were able to obtain 10 boxes packaged by Feed My Starving Children. This would be enough for one month.
For those of you who have served at 'Feed My Starving Children' , I can assure you that the food DOES get sent to those in need. GOD IS GOOD! As we were leaving the orphanage, the man who runs it hugged me and said "Mesi" to which I replied "Jezi renmen ou" (Jesus Loves YOU).

We have witnessed a lot of suffering due to hunger during our time in Haiti yet we were always greeted with a smile and a sweet "Bonjou or Bonswa."  As poor as this nation is, I have never witnessed such love for God as I have here in Haiti. Even in poor living conditions and not knowing if they are going to be able to eat, they still give all praise to God and are so thankful. I am certain that they have helped me a lot more than I have helped them. They have shown me humility, graciousness, and selflessness. For that I am truly blessed and humbled.


Dusty Willner         
  

No comments:

Post a Comment