Monday, February 16, 2015

We have successfully arrived in Haiti! We were blessed with uneventful flight, other than the American Airlines members having a 2 hour Miami delay. Coming in to this trip, I had no idea what to expect, it made me scared and stressed out. But, the second I got here I was so kindly treated and welcomed in like one of the local Haitian people. I was standing at the top of the guesthouse balcony and I just looked up and realized how beautiful Haiti truly is. I saw a boy while I was standing on the balcony playing with a beat up soccer ball and two cement blocks representing goal posts. It really touched me that he (soon joined by other people and I) can have such joy in having so little, I would get very sorrowful and bored if all I had was a beat up ball and a empty lot. I played soccer with them today and the boys changed how I thought. I am starting to become more thankful and joyful like them with what I have and not focusing on what I used to want that I don't need. I look forward to the week ahead! For more life changing experiences and learning opportunities! Thank you for your prayers and support! Luke Berge, age 14



2 comments:

  1. Luke, I hope you have the trip of a lifetime. I'll be thinking and praying about you and your dad all week. I can't wait to hear about it when you get back. You've got two great leaders on your trip.
    -Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luke, your name means "Light Giving", and the Doctor that shared your name wrote the words that spread Christ's story throughout the world. You are walking in the same steps as you share your story, and Christ's story, a witness to God's love in the world and for the world. You are an exceptional young man, on an exceptional journey. Continue to follow His call on your life!
    We are very blessed to be part of your journey, thank you for inviting us.

    ReplyDelete