Friday, September 21, 2012

Family

Every day, our mission team debriefs by sharing our thoughts of the day.  Part of that process is to summarize our thoughts into a single word for the day.  Yesterday, I used the word "Family" to express my day.  I am sure there is some violation of our team charter here but I am recycling the word and using it again for today.

Family - it was everywhere today.  The tears on this day were less about the sorrow of the poverty and need, but for the wonderful blessings of family that we experienced throughout the entire day.

Like each day this week, we started with a hearty breakfast.  This team of eight men and two women continues to grow closer at every turn.  There is laughter, support, cutting sarcasm, tears, and cutting sarcasm (did I say that there is sarcasm?).  I see less of teammates and more of a family as we continue this journey.

Today was our full day at Grace Village.  This orphanage opened just last December but is already doing so very much in this country.  We immediately met Pastor Rob, his wife Jennifer and their two children.  Pastor Rob shared his story of his own calling to be the director at Grace Village.  His wife and two children sat with us and were all smiles as he explained their journey.  I took a second to go over and talk to their eleven year old right before we took a tour of Grace Village.  I asked him how we was doing living here and what he thought.  His face lit up and said that it was "awesome".  I got the exact same impression from Pastor Rob's wife and daughter when our paths crossed throughout the day.  What an incredible family where all are so very focused and excited about serving God at an orphanage in Haiti...so very far and very different from their home in Minnesota. 

We toured Grace Village and saw all the changes that have developed.  Besides housing over 60 orphaned and abandoned children this place also is in the process of constructing a school for over 200 students, a church, a clinic and an aquaponic farm that will raise fish and vegetables to support the orphanage and some in the local community.  Oh, and I should mention that they are also working on a soccer field for the kids and will be soon constructing housing for the elderly. 

I could not help but stand there and take all this in and rejoice in the family environment that God had created here.  It was so real and present you could reach out and touch it.  On Tuesday as we delivered water into the slums we had crowds rushing us to get our attention and help as their need was so great.  At Grace Village, children rushed out to us but it was to welcome us to their family!  What a difference.  God is so good!  This is a place where the children, staff and workers are loved, supported, and surrounded by God and embraced into his family.

One boy I met was 13 years old.  He asked me many questions about my family back home.  He was curious about my family structure and all the details.  I turned the questions around to him and asked him about his life at Grace Village.  He smiled and told me about his friends, his relationship with Jesus and how he loved everyone there.  He said that this was his family and he really liked living there. It was so cool to see how this boy viewed everyone at Grace Village as his family and expressed his love for them all.

Family.  It was everywhere today.  My tears today were there because I was overwhelmed with joy at what I was seeing.  Every day on this mission trip brings the unexpected.  I look forward to what God has in store for tomorrow.

Written by Rick Jones 



No comments:

Post a Comment