Wednesday, September 19, 2012

God Gets Personal

Today we visited the Home for Sick Children in the morning and were all deeply moved by visiting and holding these precious children of God.  Most of the kids we saw were under 2 years, and most had parents who visited, but some had parents who no longer came, perhaps knowing their kids were in hands that could provide more than they could.  The first crying infant I held laid her head on my shoulder and I melted.  Her Mom arrived a few minutes later and she immediately saw her and brightened.  Most of the kids were their for several months for malnutrition,  Some briefer with more acute illness.  A few had I.V.s running.

After helping feeding them their lunch, we then went to Gertrude's Orphanage.  There the kids were older and many were developmentally disabled, living with well children who smiled and joyfully interacted.  We set up a broken swing and played with the the kids.

I will never forget some of the faces of the children, especially when they just looked into my eyes.  It was like looking into the face of God and He was asking me how I would respond to Him and His children. 

Later in the afternoon most of or team returned to the Home for Sick Children. 
Four of us;  Margie, Rick, Jeff, and myself, rode with another Christian organization who held a twice weekly wound clinic in the heart of downtown Port-Au-Prince.
The drive there was amazing, seeing the congested streets, vendors, traffic, poverty, disrepair.  It was what I sort of expected upon coming here, but was still was difficult too fully take in.
The wound clinic was very eye opening for my 3 companions.
I was experienced in seeing these kind of wounds, but only on rare occasions in my medical career.
We changed dressings and cleaned the wounds.  Many appear to be chronic, most from burns or injuries.  Today was not too busy, apparently much busier on Saturdays.  Many of the people knew how their wounds were to be addressed and helped us along.  Our experienced Christian companions also guided us.  The people were appreciative and thankful, we were rewarded in being able to serve them in a small way.

The day was just as heart-rending as yesterday in Cite Soleil.  But today we interacted more directly with His children and it became much more personal.
We are continuing to be asked by God how we will respond to the needs of His people.  As we discussed today as a group, I need to follow what God plans for me in  my life, not what I plan for my life.  I pray that I will listen and follow Him.

Tom King

No comments:

Post a Comment