Tuesday, September 18, 2012

I See Alyn

Today was the water truck day, the day I was worried about not being manly and strong to do heavy lifting of water buckets. We had a wonderful breakfast together as group, gathered water bottles,  electrolyte packets, and tons of snacks. We would spend the day out in the field delivering water to the people of Cite Soleil. This is the city that when you are landing on the airport strip you see the garbage in the water, the shacks that people call home, the pigs laying in the garbage. This is where we are delivering water to the people that live here. We have taken very bumpy dirty roads to get here. When we are behind the water truck the people are already forming the line to get water. They are so excited that it is hard to get out of the tap tap to go work. Some of us help keep the line of buckets stay orderly which can be hard with everyone wanting water. Others of us are just picking up the children that want to be held, some of us are helping the water buckets go back to the shack that they call home. The smell here is something that can not be described. But they are all friendly, happy and excited that we are here. It only takes about 30 minutes and the truck is empty and we need to go fill the water truck up. But on the first stop we go on our first tour- a walk to see the oceanfront. We walk and hold children's hands and hold babies.  We walk by goats, pigs, garbage, and metal shacks to get to a strip of land that sticks out in to the water. As we stand there, a plane is approaching the runway of the airport nearby.  I realize I am standing exactly where I saw out the airplane window yesterday. I look around and I see what Alyn and Jeff have talked about all these years and all I can think about is my sister, Alyn, wow this is amazing what she has started. Pebbles do make ripples that can start change. God was calling to her and she did listen. I can only hope I can continue to listen and learn what God may be trying to teach me. I am so blessed with what I have and what I have been given. I am thankful for this opportunity to be here to help.


Mikell Nestaval

No comments:

Post a Comment